Your friend is spending a lot of time with a new love interest and when your friend talks to you – is she just venting or do you give your personal opinion? Well, basically no, our opinions only relate to us, so be careful burdening someone else with your way of life.
Friends are important and their main job is to look out for friends in terms of safety. Giving your opinion about the way he looks is different to giving your opinion about him taking her on a camping trip in the middle of nowhere after one date!
3 things that are not your business as a friend:
1. Whether he is the right one – just listen to your friend.
2. Whether he is kind and respectful enough – everyone has different gauges regarding this.
3. His involvement in the dating process – it is only your opinion if he hasn’t called enough – leave this one to your friend.
3 things that are your business as a friend:
1. When you turn up to your friend’s place because your friend is not answering her phone and the boyfriend acts weird and won’t give you any information.
2. If you see the boyfriend harming your friend emotionally or physically.
3. If your friend is making risky decisions about where she is going with the boyfriend.
Once you decide some things are your business the next thing is to work out carefully how to be the best friend and be helpful. You might call another friend for advice, parents, or the police. It is important how we handle difficult situations well to avoid further complications. You know your friend, so take that into consideration. Just doing something is better than nothing at all if your friend is in trouble.